Saturday, June 4, 2011

Simple Biped Walking

In order to walk better I changed the orientation of the legs to be facing away from each other on the biped. This allows it to use its leg motion to move its center of gravity, rather then a tail or a mass on a slider. Having this leg layout eliminates the ability to turn though, so I added a hip rotation servo to each leg. This turns it into a 6dof robot, and greatly increases its ability to walk and turn.

This video shows about an hours worth of gait development, the side strafing isn't exactly how i was thinking it would be like, but it works really well the way it is now.



Unfortunately I will soon be abandoning this project to work on an RX based biped instead, returning these servo's to Immortal. I do believe that this kind of leg setup would allow for a low cost competitive biped in mech warfare, which has not been done yet. This project has proven that this leg setup can be very effective, and I may use my RX servo's to build something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment